03 July 2009

I miss you Jersey Shore!

When you are from Philadelphia or NYC, South Jersey is a pretty amazing place to spend your summer as a kid and teenager. I spent most of my summer in Ocean City, NJ, just north of Wildwood, and just south of Atlantic City. The only difference between the towns was that Ocean City was a dry town, dating back to it's original founders who settled it as a Christian retreat back in the late 1800's, while Wildwood was considerably more like the Wild West. Picture Lost Boys, but like WAY more East Coast. Camaros instead of motorcycles maybe? Mary and I have spent a lot of time there, and now that I am in LA (which rules too) I am starting to feel a little homesick.

I often try to explain the strong Philadelphia accent that my family and relatives have to friends from other parts of the country, because honestly, I just don't know what to compare it to. I have since lost mine, although I am told that I re-pick it up whenever I feel intimidated by large aggressive men. Weird...
This video from a 1994 documentary might come across a little off-putting to some, but it definitely nails the accent, and maybe can explain why I hated high school (class of '92). But I still can't help feeling a little nostalgic.

3 comments:

kyle said...

rob you graduated high school the year i started kindergarten

Erin said...

haha damn. the jersey shore.
i usualy never pick up the accent unless i'm around family again up in Philly.

Christopher said...

It's different!