22 September 2008

THE STORM

The storm carved out a ditch
Which we filled with seeds and earth
And a tree grew to spread its branches over the place

I'm so glad for that storm
The hole that the pain had formed
Gave us so much room to pour our love into

I went to climb that tree
Now my clothes are stained with pitch
It was worth it to stretch my arms over that place.


THE TREE WITH THE LIGHTS IN IT

On and off and on and off as light pours through the trees
In and out and in and out
Exhale inhale you breathe

Light to dark there's left a mark:
A tree inside your eye
A flickering of branches hold your breath and then you sigh
"Now everything's lined up
All set to wind up
Don't try to fight it
It's all I know."


GOLD COIN

The ocean is your god-self
The sun is your god-self
God as air

Part of you is man
Part of you is god-self
The rest is just stumbling in the mist.


A FIELD GUIDE

My head was filled with wordless thoughts
Perched on a little ledge
Home in another world
A sea-length from my bed

And all around were sailing boats
I stowed them in my head
A foreign land of welcome sights
Familiar as my bed

Inside of my eyelid looks the same
No matter where my feet are
When my head's a mile away
It plants me where my feet are.

1 comment:

Todd Colby said...

Lovely. I'm so bummed I missed your NYC show. Come home soon!