30 March 2008

Farewell Dith Pran.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I first became aware of Dith Pran, when I saw the film the Killing Fields (1984) when I was probably around 11 or 12. It was late and I couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch it. When the end of the film came, and I realized it wasn't historical fiction, but a real account, I totally lost it. Needless to say, this film did not help my insomnia. I actually barely slept for a long time after that night. I was haunted by it. I still make a point to watch this film at least once a year. I personally feel it is one of the best and most powerful films of all time. I still totally lose it at the end. But It is not just a movie. It is an acount of an unbelievable real life ordeal.

Read more about Dith Pran and the Khmer Rouge.

2 comments:

DrPanda97 said...

I did a project on the killing fields back when I was a sophomore in HS and watched this movie. I agree that the whole story is incredible.

Weller said...

a couple of good books to check out in this vein:

First They Killed My Father

A Blessing Over Ashes

i spent a bit of time in Cambodia and it was, well, beautiful and heart-wrenching at the same time.

some good shots from the area:

http://www.bananaseatgirl.com/weller/cambodia-laos/